Monday, June 9, 2014

Celebration of A Life

" May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." (Romans 15:13)

Today I was privileged to attend the funeral of Betty Hale.  A privilege, because God afforded me the opportunity to know her in life and experience the hope she shares in death.  She was a character, she loved our pizza, and she lived with hope in Christ!  My only regret is not taking the time to know her better. 

Today I was reminded of the influence we all inherently carry.  We don't have to be famous.  We will be an influence (if only to our immediate sphere), whether for good or evil.  We choose which it will be.  And the simplest acts of kindness can leave forever marks.

Even through tears of sorrow for the loss on earth, I couldn't help smiling as I gazed upon her empty body.  There was the white chocolate truffle, reminding us of her sense of humor and a feeling of assurance that she was now having "the time of her life".  I don't claim to have any direct line to heaven, but I could almost feel her joy.  As I walked past the casket to say a final goodbye, I couldn't help but silently tell her, "You go girl!"  Then I turned and walked away with a bit of jealousy. 

My turn will come, but until that day, may I too live my life well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment