Friday, October 18, 2013

Unfettered

Because I am getting ready for diagnosing of gastrointestinal issues, I went off the fast.  I needed to test some food intolerances (yep, they are still there!) and try to have my system in a "normal" state for them to see.  At first this seemed a blessing.  I was now free to indulge as I desired.  I was unfettered.  Shouldn't I be singing the halleluiah chorus or something?

What I found instead was another of God's paradoxes; His upside down economy.  MY freedom brought loss not gain.  When I loosed myself of His bonds, I found myself enslaved.  Enslaved to my flesh and its desires, desires that are not seeking my ultimate good, but only their momentary satisfaction.  Romans 6 sums this up for us when it tells us that we are slaves to the one whom we obey.  And Peter tells us, "Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves." (1 peter 2:16)  In just a few short days I felt the loss.  I was not hearing His voice as loudly.  I had lost self-control.  My addiction to chocolate had returned...and with a vengeance!

So what am I to do?


15" I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.  21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (Romans 7:15-25)

Jesus is my hope of salvation!  I now know that it is about placing myself under the power and authority of my Lord and Savior.  Fasting is not just a day to humble myself and then go about as I please.  It is a submitting, a fettering myself to God.  For though from the world's viewpoint He seems to take away our fun.  The truest reality is that only in living His way can we find infinite joy!

The question then is:  Do I want a life time of pleasure or an eternity of treasure?  You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (Psalm 16:11)  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6:21)  Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. (Colossians 3:1)  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. (2 Corinthians 4:17)  Need I quote more? 

This is all nice and may be the truth, but it will not make a difference unless I believe it.  We say many things, but we act on what we believe.  Do I believe?  Yes!  Lord help my unbelief!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment