Monday, March 24, 2014

Holiness

I want to share a little personal experience with you.  After returning from our recent cruise and feeling a bit gluttonous, my husband and I embarked on several days of fruit and/or liquids only.  It became evident from our bodies reaction that the detox was needed.  Yikes!  I also realized the detox my soul needed. It was certainly a confirmation of why I have felt compelled to fast during Lent. 
After a couple days of nothing much to eat but fruit smoothies, my tastes and desires began to change.  Instead of my normal desire for junk, I was dreaming of simple healthy food.  As I discussed this with my husband, he agreed and we talked about how when you are hungry, you are satisfied with simple food, but when you are constantly full, it takes something more spectacular, more pleasurable, i.e. junk food laden with salt and sugar. 
 
Isn't this so in our spiritual life too?  When we are hungry and in need we find such satisfaction in God, but when we become constantly full of the world, we lose our appetite for Him and need to seek bigger and better pleasures.
 
And that is what this fast is to me...self-denial in order to be hungry for God.  To make sure he is my master rather than my flesh.  "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3
 
Jesus said to the Father in John 17:17-19,  "Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified."  And the prophet Isaiah talked of a highway of holiness in chapter 35, verse 8.  "Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God." ( 2 Cor. 7:1)  God desires our holiness and has given us His Spirit to accomplish it.  So, this week let us pray for one another and for the Church at large, that His holiness be perfected in us through faith.  We can pray with confidence, knowing that our sanctification is the will of God and He will answer according to His promise and faithfulness.
 
"May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. " 1 Thess. 5:23
 

No comments:

Post a Comment