Tuesday, March 17, 2015

JTH - Week 3



"I work from the vantage point of helping clients re-frame disease to be an ally, not an enemy. When that happens, we take responsibility for our life and move out of being the victim of our circumstances such as illness.  Here is the bottom, bottom line. Your life is trying to wake you up to something through illness.  It just is. So go there. I promise there is no downside to taking that positioning in life. Only wisdom.  That place of trust that life is waking me up to something. You are doing it though illness. Once you decide this path, things like blaming others, being a victim or arguing against what is present are quickly lost as coping options. Your biggest coping options become love and acceptance. How will I love and accept this event? And this is difficult because denial, victim and blame are socially accepted tools in the healing world, easier to take but ultimately don’t work."  Jessica Flanigan, Clinical Nutritionist

 I found the above quote while researching AIP recipes this week.  It pretty much sums up my next step in this journey.  I initially thought I would go on the diet for a month, get better, and then be on my merry way.  Yeah, right! 

I have been through all the coping options she mentioned.  Denial?  Yep, been there.  Victim?  Woe is me!  Blame?  You betcha.  Even with this diet, I wanted a quick fix, but that doesn't look to be the case.  They say 1 month of healing for every year you have been sick, and I have been sick for over 20 years!  So, I need to move on to viewing my illness as my ally and not my enemy.

My nature leans toward destinations.  Michael often has to slow me down when we are walking.  I go from point A to point B the quickest way possible.  But this...this condition, isn't racing toward a destination and so I need to shift my focus to the journey. 

I don't know exactly how this will play out.  I have no doubt there will be moments of unrest and temptation ahead, but for now I am resting in the joy of obedience. 

I am learning that my life is not my own.  I am not in control.  I need to trust God.  And I must reorder my life.  I can no longer ignore it, forging ahead, hoping it will behave. 

It is giving me a chance to put into practice scriptures, such as Rejoice in the Lord always and Give thanks in all things.

The truth is, I am at a crossroads.  Will I go back to my old path, or will I stop and walk in the good way?  God what are you waking me up to? 

No comments:

Post a Comment