Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Choice of Life

I have no children of my own, but God has blessed me with many children to love.  There are the children of friends, who I have watched grow and could not be more proud of if they were my own.  Then there are my nieces, my brother's girls, who have stolen a piece of my heart forever.  And now my adopted nephew, 8 months old, my friend's little boy.  My friend has given me a special honor and privilege in this precious child's life.

It is amazing how much love a heart can hold.  It never seems to shrink, but rather expands the more you use it.  Much like any muscle in the body I guess.  My love for all these kids continues to grow, but I want to share more specifically about my "nephew". 

He is adopted.  After nearly 15 years of waiting, God brought this wonderful gift, in the form of a baby boy, into my friends lives.  How it happened is an amazing story and he is a blessing to them everyday.

Each time I stare into his adorable face and he melts my heart with his smile, I thank God that his biological mother and father chose life.  I am sure it was not an easy decision, the important ones rarely are. 

For whatever reasons, they could not care for a child themselves.  I can not even fathom if they had chosen to end his life, rather than to offer it up to someone else.  How much this world would have missed.  For by choosing life, his biological mother not only spared her sons life, and in love gave him hope of a better life, but she blessed my friends, his parents, and all of us who know him as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment