Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Noises In The Night

My husband recently went away on a mission trip.  This left me home alone.  I was excited about the quiet time I would have during the day...the nights however, were another story.  Through prayer and the grace of God I made it through!  But why is it that our psyche can suddenly go crazy with all kinds of scary scenarios just because we are alone?  I don't know much about my psyche, but I do know a contributing factor...noises in an otherwise silent house.  With another person in the house making noise, you don't notice the peculiar noises of the house.  But once the comforting sounds of another are removed, suddenly every noise is new and suspect.  As I was pondering this phenomenon, I was struck by the spiritual application and the importance of times of solitude with God.

Life is busy.  Normally, there are many people to interact with and much noise to contend with.  Now, that is not all bad, but the noise of life can often distract us from the still small voice of God.  It is not until times of quiet that we can hear those new and peculiar sounds.  The sounds of the Spirit speaking to our souls; speaking Words of life.  We need to make time in our schedules for solitude with God; times to be still and listen. 

Be still, and know that I am God. - Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment