Saturday, September 20, 2014

What's In A Name: How I learned to appreciate my common name.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose,  by any other name would smell as sweet."
Famous words by Shakespeare, but is it true?   Does a name matter?  If a name doesn’t matter, then why do parents labor over what to name their children?  Why do actors and actresses so often change their names?  Why do we carve our names in trees and rocks, to be remembered long after we are gone? Why do we work and work to “make a name for ourselves”?  I have often been disappointed with my name.  It is so common that when I googled the birth records for Becky Smith, there were 30,000 of us currently living.  What will set me apart?  How will people know it is me? 
 
About  a month ago, as I was walking and listening to music, I heard these lyrics, “At the end of the day I want them to see that my heart looks like your heart”.  In that moment, my spirit cried out in agreement with the song.  I realized that when people look at me, I don’t want them to see Becky Smith.  I want them to see the face of Jesus reflected in me.  I don’t care if they remember me when I am gone, but I do want them to remember and love my Lord. 
God has been teaching me about my identity in Him .  God changed Abram and Paul’s names to signify His work in their life and Revelation 2:17 says, “Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give that person a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it.”  So, one day I will receive a new name unique to me alone, but until then I believe my common name is no mistake; it is a gift from the God who loves me; a reminder that I live in the tension between what I am and what I will be. 
My glory is not in making a name for myself, but in being transformed into the image of Jesus, from glory to glory. (2 Corinthians 3:18)  I praise God for my common name, as I understand a little more what it means to lose my life in order to save it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment