Monday, November 3, 2014

The Sound of Love


We often talk about smells bringing memories alive.  But today I was transported in time by a sound. 

The ordinary sound of stirring my coffee.

I stir my coffee most days, but today was different.  Today when I heard the clink of the spoon against the porcelain cup, I was transported back to my grandparents kitchen. 

I was reminded of the treasured mornings I would wake up at their house and sit at the kitchen table with them, while they drank their coffee and read the paper.  Of course, I needed coffee too, so I could be just like them. 

It is like I can still hear grandma stirring a splash of coffee into a cup of warm milk.  Such a simple thing; yet apparently profound.  After all, that was 30 plus years ago. 

Perry Mason still remains a favorite show of mine, because I watched it with my grandma. She died when I was in the eighth grade and I still miss her so much, especially this morning. 

When I ponder what has brought on this sudden swell of emotion, I can think of only one word...LOVE.  A simple memory wrapped in love.  A sacred moment.  Love given and love received.    I love you Grandma Pischel!

My grandma with my cousin (left) and me.
 

2 comments: