Saturday, February 7, 2015

It's All About Love

"Don't be like the people of this world, but let God change the way you think.  Then you will know how to do everything that is good and pleasing to Him."  Romans 12:2 CEV


I am currently reading the true story of Ian and Larissa Murphy.  They met in college, fell in love and were planning to marry, when Ian was in a horrific car crash.  That car accident and the resulting brain injury forever changed their lives.  Their story is about more than tragedy, it is about dealing with life in a world marked by suffering, yet compelled by love.  Larissa chose love over convenience.  Ian's best friend chose love over a more successful career.  This got me thinking...

Was she crazy for not moving on to someone she could have a "normal", easier life with?  Was his friend crazy for giving up a more successful career?  I guess that depends on what you think the meaning of life is.  Is it all about me?  Is it about what I can gain?  Or is it about people and love?

According to the Bible, it has always been about people and love:

It has been this way from the beginning.  God created the world and us, because of love.  God called a people to be His own, because of love.  God came in the flesh, because of love.  Jesus died a horrible death, because of love.  The Spirit was given to us, because of love. The disciples were beaten and martyred, because of love.  Jesus will come again to take us to the Father, because of love.  It is the greatest command and the second.  Love is the fulfillment of all the law and prophets. 

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:1-8 NIV
 

Love is powerful, because God IS love.



No comments:

Post a Comment