Saturday, November 30, 2013

Celebrating My Mediocrity

I find my self the median of most things.  When I was in high school my family took a personality test for fun.  My mom and brother were on one side and my dad on the other.  Where was I?  You guessed it, right in the middle!  I am not completely shy, but neither can I strike up a conversation with just anybody.  I find myself the mediator a lot.  Then there is my athleticism.  I am athletic enough to participate in most sports, but not enough to excel at any.  I have a fairly good singing voice, but you will never find me on the Billboard charts.  I am of average intelligence, height and weight.  Need I say more?

This mediocrity used to bother me.  But I have come to appreciate the middle.  I like balance.  It allows me to look at things more objectively.  I am tired of the two extreme opinions always fighting (the mediator in me I guess).  I can see truth on both sides.  They fight so strongly for their own side, even if they did see truth on the other, they generally wouldn't admit it or would find a way to turn it in their favor.  Ugh! 

This is especially disturbing in the church.  I realize the need to stand for truth and refute heresy, but often we are standing on our own sinking sand of opinion.  None of us can know 100 percent, nor do we need to defend God.  “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”   “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me,  for whoever is not against us is for us." (Mark 9:38-40)

I think if we spent more time seeking first God and then fulfilling the law of love, we would find the answers we seek.  But that is just my mediocre opinion...take it for what it is worth. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment