Monday, November 25, 2013

Hair

I am not one to have the same hairstyle very long.  This I blame on my mother...and I am not just blaming here.  Take a look at our family album and you will think I had multiple mothers growing up!  I have continually gone from long to short and back to long again, even when it is long, I have to style it differently.  By now you are thinking, "who cares?".  And so you should.  What is hair any way, a covering, a way to distinguish in which decade the family photos were taken (all who grew up in the 80's know what I am talking about), or is it merely vanity?  Maybe it is a combination of all of those, but for me, today, it was so much more.

As I was styling my long tresses (that sound so much better than, "I was comin' my hair"), a spiritual application occurred to me.  Hair is spiritual?  Well, it can be...at least in its application.  God often has to use physical word pictures to make his point with me. ;)  Any way, back to the hair.  I realized that the guys in college were right, I do look better with long hair.  Who knew?!  I remember a particular time I was trying to decide whether to cut my hair or keep it long.  They all voted for long.  So, of course, I cut it off!

Why did I do that?  Sometimes I think I cut my hair off because I get tired of dealing with it.  I am so glad God does not grow tired or weary of us (Isaiah 40:28).  Sometimes it is because I want the same look another woman has.  Funny thing is, it never looks as good on me as it did on her.  That must be why God says to be content with who I am (Romans 9:20-21).  Sometimes I just do it for fun.  Pleasure isn't bad, but I should look to eternal things rather than fleeting earthly fancies (Psalm 16:11).  And I admit it, sometimes I just want to cause a stir.  Darn that old, rebellious nature. (Hebrews 3:8).  ;)

Just as the guys were right about my hair, God, in His infallible wisdom knows what is best for me.  He knows what joys and pains will develop the most beauty in my character.  However, just like I did then, I so often do now, I ask God's opinion, but inevitably do what I want any way.  Ouch!

Who knew fixing my hair would lead to meditating on God?  Hmmm.  So, is the moral of the story that I can never again cut my hair?  No.  That would be missing the point.  It isn't about the hair, it is about seeking God and actually obeying Him.  He created us and knows what is best and He gave us an instruction manual (The Bible) to follow.  " But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." (Matthew 6:33) 

The Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)  "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight." (1 Peter 3:3-4)  So here's to finding the right style of beauty for me...and I am not talking about my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment